Monday, January 17, 2011

Bangkok - Tuk-tuks, taxis and trucks



Biking in Bangkok is possible but I don't suggest it for the novice or faint of heart. Like most third world countries, the chaotic traffic just seems to work. There's a rhythm to it that you don't see in the self-centric driving in the US. As a result, you can careen through the buses, tuk-tuks and taxis and join the frenetic pulse. The drivers are courteous and the taxis are just the cutest little things (pink and orange), it's all quite fun.

However, there are a few things to think about before hitting the road.

1) They drive on the left hand side of the road. I hadn't realized this and although it wouldn't seem too challenging an obstacle, it did take a lot more focus and concentration, particularly when turning right.
2) Mopeds are every where. Being on a bike allows you to weave through cars which is great during heavy traffic, however, mopeds are doing the same and if you are too slow, you'll be in their way.
3) Taxis are reluctant to take bikes. I picked up my bike on the other side of the city and crunched for time, tried to wave down a taxi. After 45 min and several pleasant "nos", a small truck pulled over to offer his services. He charged me 600bt ($20) to drive me back to the hotel. Next time I'd suggest a tuk-tuk. They can strap your bike on the back and while they are often crazy drivers, their prices are more reasonable.


That said, during our hour drive back to the hotel, I saw several bikers passing us while we were caught in traffic. At one point, the truck driver tried to coax me to get out of the truck and ride my bike the rest of the way so he could pick up another job. That's a whole other story that I'll write about later in my other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment