Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lampang to Chiang Mai

Eager to see the Elephant Conservation Camp, I left Lampang early in the morning, planning to get to the camp by 8:00am.  I'd tried to lighten my load significantly knowing that I had some serious hills ahead of me. I'd be riding on a major highway that winded into the mountains.  The only road to Chiang Mai, the second largest city in Thailand, trucks and buses cruised passed me. There was a heavy fog as well, blanketing me as I climbed the mountains.  At one point, when I was in my lowest gear, panting up a hill, I heard a truck behind me. In the thick of the fog I could see it close behind on the far left so that other, faster buses could pass it.  Unfortunately, I was in the way. The shoulder was narrow so I had no choice to hop off my bike and lean into the shrubs so that the truck wouldn't hit me.  After 2 hours of climbing, I came to the Elephant Camp which had just opened.  Since I had my own transportation and no intention to see "the show" I was able to get in for free and ride around the camp.  I went straight to the rides where I climbed aboard an amazing beast, "Champoe".  A quick ride to see the roaming elephants and then I headed back towards Chiang Mai.

The panniers were a challenge as I continued to climb.  I'd wished I'd packed less. Eventually the ascent ended and I was able to enjoy a long descent into Lamphua.  A quick lunch on the side of the road and I climbed back on the bike for my final stretch into Chiang Mai.  Some how I missed the turnoff back onto the highway which took me on a small side road that ran parallel to the train.  It was a great ride, alongside fields of tall grass and small shops. The cooler temperature of the mountains was a relief.  I knew I would enjoy Chiang Mai and as I rode into the charming city - I knew I'd stay for as long as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment