Monday, January 17, 2011

A Roads and B Roads

Thailand roads are really well cared for and which ever road you choose, it's unlikely you'll see many potholes or narrow shoulders. However, based on what you want to see and the type of riding experience, you may find yourself choosing between A roads and B roads. For much of my trip, I didn't have an option but when I did, I seriously considered the advantages and disadvantages of both.

A Roads - These are major freeways. While there are wide shoulders, you will share the road with truckers, buses, cars and the occasional moped. The roads are well marked, well lit and often the shortest distance between two cities. A Roads are great early in the mornings when traffic is light.


B Roads - These are side roads that wind through rice fields. They take you through small towns, by tiny family stores and lots of local scenery. However, they aren't well lit, well marked and homes are guarded by protective dogs that often sleep by the side of the road. During one leg of the trip, I started riding well before sunrise. I felt prepared with my bike light, head lamp and florescent yellow jacket. About an hour into the ride, I woke a dog who decided to chase me for the next 300 yards. I couldn't see him in the darkness but could hear him barking close behind.

Another challenge with the B roads is the lack of road signs. I didn't realize until Day 3 that there are small cement markers on the side of the road to track mileage. On several occasions I took a wrong turn and although the locals tried their best to help me, language was a huge barrier. What often resulted was a lot of funny and unsuccessful pantomimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment